An Iso-somatic Session
Body in place meditation is a way to embody an acknowledgment of country and connect with ourselves (body mind and spirit), and the environment through meditation.
For the duration of the meditation, one will move through the following three parts:
- a simple seated meditation that helps to focus the mind with an easy mantra repeated with the breath. The aim should be to be as still as possible and to focus.
- a visualisation which will be practiced in a lying down position. Here there should be no forcing of the imagination, however as the meditation goes deeper and we connect with our body in relation to place and the country we meditate on, we may find that the imagination is wonderfully stirred. Go as deep or as shallow as feels right in the moment, we have spent some time at the start with focus, this is the time to let the mind explore within the body.
- a final mantra meditation based upon the visualisation, also in a prone position.
For this meditation it may be helpful to have the following items:
- a yoga mat or mat for sitting on cold surfaces
- cushion or pillow to sit on during the seated mantra meditation. so we can commit to being still without discomfort. Use pillows or blocks if you have any to support the knees and back. It might be helpful to sit against a wall.
- a blanket or warm covering to lie under during the lying visualisation, and socks; it is important to keep warm so the mind can focus on meditation and not the fact that the body is getting colder!
- an eye pillow or scarf to cover the eyes during the lying visualisation.